Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB01/25/004 A


Extent of Listing:
Not listed


Date of Construction:
1760 - 1779


Address :
Boomhall Culmore Road Londonderry BT48 8JE


Townland:
Ballynashallog






Survey 2:
Record Only

Date of Listing:

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
Partially




OS Map No:
26/16 NE

IG Ref:
C4500 1954





Owner Category


Local Govt

Exterior Description And Setting


A large rectangular 2 storey stone built house in Georgian style becoming 3 stories on the side overlooking River Foyle. It is presently ruinous without roof, floors and internally finishes. The entrance or W front is 7 bays wide with a 3 bay wide slightly projecting breakfront, symmetrically arranged with projecting single storey small porch with side entry on S side. This porch spans across the basement area which forms a storey height plinth around the building. The porch has corner ¾ engaged Roman Doric stone columns, with deep frieze and cornice and flat roof. The W side has a single window opening now built up as are all the window openings on basement and ground floor. The ground floor windows were formerly tall s/s with multiple planes with ashlar sandstone trim. First floor windows square in proportion with sandstone trim. A bold good moulded cornice terminates the wall tops running round the building perimeter. On the east side is the principal architectural feature of the house. A large polygonal bay, full house height with similarly proportioned window openings on each facet and the central opening at first floor enriched as an aedicule with moulded pediment, consoles and fluted pilasters. Walls are built of good random rubble schist and trimmed with ashlar sandstone (probably Dungiven). On the N side is a small polygonal bay defining the staircase. This may have been a mid 19th cent addition. The walls of the breakfront are smooth rendered. The S and N sides are 5 bays wide with window proportions similar to other facades. The house is sited on sloping ground which falls quickly to the River Foyle and enjoys a splendid view of it and the site of the late 17th century boom laid across the river about this location during the siege of Derry. The house has 2 long avenue approaches and the southern one had a gate lodge now demolished but piers remain.

Architects


Priestly, Michael

Historical Information


A house appears to have existed on this site from the 17th century. The Alexander family acquire the property post the seige period. Around 1779 the building of the present house began for one of the brothers of which there were 2, Robert and James. James had made money in India, he held government posts and was MP for Co Derry 1774-84 which latter year he was created Baron Caledon and later Earl of Caledon. There were 2 parliamentary representatives at this time, the other being Sir Hugh Hill. Michael Priestly it is assumed prepared the design. Priestly died in 1780s. The Alexanders were prominent Derry merchants actively engaged in various trades and enterprises. The house was occupied in the early 1830’s by the C of I Dean of Derry Rev. Gough. Griffiths VB records the lessee as Rev. Dean Gough Val. £48-7-0. While in 1858 valuation the house rose to £90.00 so it must have been considerably enhanced in the intervening period though some of this enhancement may been in the outbuildings. The lessee was Daniel Baird and the lessor was the Hon Irish Society. Baird acquired the property in the 1840s. Later the Cooke family occupied the house followed by Corscadden and a Sir John Barr, Mayor of Derry. The house was taken over by the Services in the second world war when afterwards, the McDevitt family bought the property. The Derry City Council purchased the ruins and the most remains of the estate in the 1990s. No decision has yet been made as to what use or otherwise it is to be put. References Primary Sources 1 . UAFP O.S. Map 1832 Londonderry No. 13. 2. UAFP O.S. Map 1st Rev. Londonderry No. 13. 3. Griffith Val. Book 1831 Parish of Templemore Ballynashallog TD. 4. Griffith Val. Book 1858 Parish of Templemore Ballynashallog TD. 5. Memoir, City & N West Liberties of Londonderry 1837, pp83, 84, 206. Secondary Sources 1. M Bence Jones – A Guide to Irish County Houses p.45 2. UAHS Buildings of City of Derry, pp53, 54 (gives description of building interior before becoming ruinous). 3. A Rowan – North West Ulster p.p. 49, 401, 402. 4. A Malley, The History of Boomhall, Londonderry (unpublished).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

Not listed

Historic Interest

Not listed



Evaluation


The remains of a substantial rural villa, enjoying a handsome site, and though ruinous retains sufficient of its external architectural detail and form. It is a fine example of Georgian style architecture if a little severe in execution.

General Comments




Date of Survey


18 October 1999