Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB20/06/006 A


Extent of Listing:
Former coach house and outbuildings arranged around four sides of the court, plus wing to west and boundary walls to garden at south-west


Date of Construction:
1860 - 1879


Address :
Outbuildings at Loughanmore 51 Loughanmore Road Dunadry Antrim Co Antrim BT41 2HN


Townland:
Loughermore






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
02/03/1978 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
Outbuildings

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
96/16

IG Ref:
J2101 8695





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


A two-storey stone building in Gothic Revival style with four-storey entrance tower, with two-storey wings to the rear, enclosing a courtyard, originally built as a coach house and outbuildings, but now partially converted to a residence with outbuildings. Main entrance faces south. South elevation is asymmetrical, comprising a central gabled block with a central entrance tower, flanked each side by slightly lower gabled blocks, the one to the east terminating in an angled square end tower. Roofs of Bangor blue slates in regular courses, with black ridge tiles. Walls of roughly coursed squared basalt rubble to the central block, roughly coursed basalt rubble to the central tower and the first floor of the flanking wings and the end tower; projecting smooth cement rendered stringcourse at first floor cill level to central block and wings, but not to central tower or angled end tower; projecting red brick eaves course on angled brick corbels to the central block and flanking wings, including raking gables of dormers. Cast iron gutters with cast iron downpipes, recessed into stringcourse. Three chimneys, one to each gable of central block and one to gable of lower wing to right; smooth cement rendered with stepped cornice, splayed caps, and projecting vertical rendered strips. Central tower is of basalt for first three floors, with two-stage buttresses to the extremities at the front, buttresses are of basalt rubble with modern red brick block dressings, and original sandstone weatherings; a short angle buttress to the west corner above eaves level retains original red brick dressings. Top storey of tower has been later smooth cement rendered with some render missing at base of bartizan turret to reveal original brickwork. Battered base to top storey, with parapet to top carried on rendered corbels. Circular corbelled bartizan turret to south-west corner; swept lead dressed roof to turret surmounted by an ironwork weathervane; two narrow Gothic arched lancets at the top of the turret, containing timber louvres. Circular clock in front face of top storey; semi-circular arched niches in each side face, with projecting rendered drip mouldings and cills; corbels to parapet on each side face. Entrance in ground floor of central tower is elliptically arched, with thin basalt voussoirs, containing a rectangular timber 4-panel door set in a timber framed screen of modern leaded glazing. Red brick doorstep. Above entrance, in first floor of tower, is a shallow Gothic arched opening with red brick block dressings and projecting smooth rendered cill, containing an arched timber sashed window, 6 over 6, with horns. Above, in second floor of tower is a small pair of coupled windows, rectangular timber 4-pane casements or fixed lights, with segmental brick heads and chamfered brick reveals; recessed stone or rendered cills. First floor windows of main central block are brick dressed coupled Gothic lancets with a circular tracery light; lancets contain Gothic arched 4-pane timber fixed lights with 2-pane opening vents at the base; tracery lights contain leaded ornamental glazing. Ground floor window to right of tower is a pair of Gothic arched coupled lancets glazed as previous to first floor, without tracery light. Ground floor window to left of tower is a rectangular timber sliding sash, 6 over 6, with horns, set in plain reveals, with a flat arch of basalt to the head resting on a steel lintel; projecting concrete cill. Ground floor windows of flanking wings are of similar character, with horned sashes, but are of tripartite design, comprising a central light, 6 over 6, flanked by narrow 2 over 2 lights. To right of ground floor window in east wing is a doorway, comprising a modern rectangular timber 4-panel door, raised and fielded, with flanking timber sidelights sashed 2 over 2 with horns, set in basalt reveals with flat basalt arch above, resting on a steel lintel. First floor windows of flanking wings are shallow Gothic arched sashes similar to first floor of tower; set in wall-head dormers. Extending at an angle at the right-hand extremity of the right-hand wing is a short link block connecting with the end tower: shallow Gothic arched window to ground floor, brick dressed, containing a timber 6-pane fixed light, with projecting concrete cill. Stepped parapet above, surmounted by a later earthenware urn finial. End tower is 3-storey, of roughly coursed basalt rubble with red brick block quoins, and similar block dressings to windows; flat roof with projecting sandstone coping carried on sandstone corbel table. Front of south face of end tower has one window to each floor: rectangular timber 2-pane fixed light to ground floor, with chamfered brick dressings and projecting red sandstone cill; rectangular timber sash window, 3 over 3, with horns, to first floor, with chamfered brick dressings and grey sandstone cill; rectangular timber 6-pane fixed light to second storey in similar surround to previous; similar window to top floor of other three faces of end tower. East face of end tower has rectangular openings to ground and first floor now blocked up with smooth cement render; modern brickwork to dressings incorporating original segmental relieving arch. Small rectangular brick dressed opening to ground floor on rear face, now bricked up. Cast iron soil pipe. West elevation of the main front block is a gable built of basalt rubble with red brick raking course and corbels to eaves verges; two windows to first floor, large Gothic lancets with new red brick block dressings, glazed as previous to entrance front; narrow angle headed blind opening dressed in original brick, in apex of gable. Ground floor covered by a projecting modern gabled and lean-to roofed conservatory of red brick plinth walls, concrete cills and painted timber framing. Within conservatory, the ground floor of the original gable has a new rectangular doorway dressed in new red brick and containing a pair of double doors, rectangular timber, with Gothic arched small-paned glazing. Extending to the left is the west block of the courtyard: hipped roof slated as previous, with terracotta finial at north end; wall smooth cement rendered to left of conservatory; wall left as basalt rubble within conservatory; rendered portion contains a segmental arched opening with basalt voussoirs left unrendered; opening unfinished and currently boarded up. Cast iron gutter with cast iron downpipes, one discharging into a wooden barrel. Projecting to the west is a wing or extension of the north block of the courtyard: south elevation is smooth cement rendered and contains an elliptical archway of exposed basalt voussoirs; reveals of arch are smooth rendered; inner walls of opening are of rubble with concrete surface to floor; leads through to a segmental arched opening in the north elevation. Asbestos slates to roof; two original flush rooflights. West gable of the west wing of the north block is of basalt rubble with moulded cement rendered verges, surmounted by an earthenware vase finial on the summit; narrow angle headed brick dressed opening in apex of gable, now blocked with bricks. Projecting from the left-hand side of gable is a short nib wall of basalt rubble dressed at the end with concrete brickwork to form a gate pier surmounted by an earthenware vase finial. In the angle between the west wing of the north block and the west block of the courtyard is a walled garden, formerly the stock yard, but now laid out with a small lawn surrounded by brick paved and stone cobbled paths and brick and stone planters: enclosing wall is of coursed basalt rubble surmounted by crenellations; inside face of walls is smooth cement rendered with concrete off-set coping up to the base of the crenellations; elliptically arched entrance in south side, containing an iron gate in a Victorian style; stepped smooth rendered crenellations over the gateway, surmounted by a stone or cement cast eagle. At south-west corner of garden wall is a small corbelled square corner turret, smooth cement rendered, slightly spalled to reveal brick course, with blind arrow loops. North elevation of the complex consists of the 1½ storey north block of the courtyard with a single storey stable block projecting to the north to the left-hand side and a single storey wing projecting to the west. North block of courtyard: hipped roof of Bangor blue slates in regular courses with terracotta finial at each extremity of the ridge; PVC gutter and PVC downpipe to east end; looks like metal gutter to right of right-hand dormer; 5-light flush central rooflight where originally there was a belfry or turret; tin guttering with cast iron downpipes. Walls of basalt fieldstones and rubble with two red brick dormers; between the dormers is an arched entrance leading into the courtyard; red brick block dressings to two ground floor windows flanking a red brick dressed doorway below the right-hand dormer: door appears to be a later insertion in a large segmental brick arched opening. Windows in ground floor are rectangular timber sliding sash, 8 over 8, with horns. Dormers are gabled, with slated roofs, and contain semi-circular arched timber 6-pane fixed lights. To right of ground floor windows is a small rectangular window opening blocked with timber sheeting; to right of that is a large doorway with rectangular ledged timber sliding doors; large timber lintel in front of a smooth rendered coved archway. The single storey wing to the west is of similar walling to previous, with roof of Bangor blue slates in regular courses. Three openings: a central segmental open archway leading to the walled garden; to right of that, a similar coved archway leading to a barn, fitted with a large rectangular ledged timber sliding door; to left, a coved archway leading to a store, fitted with a similar sliding door but with a rendered nib wall to the right-hand side. Tin guttering with cast iron downpipes. Single storey block projecting to north: gabled, with corrugated asbestos roof, containing two modern circular metal ventilators on ridge; walls of basalt rubble, roughly coursed, with red brick block quoins and dressings to openings. Timber bargeboards; PVC gutter and PVC downpipe to right-hand end, corresponding one to left now missing. Small rectangular windows in north wall containing rectangular timber bottom-hung 4-pane vents. Each gable has a central segmental arched doorway, with bull-nosed brick dressings, fixed with a rectangular ledged timber sliding door; above doorway a rectangular timber 6-pane fixed light. East elevation comprises the east gable of the main south block, with a lower two-storey lean-to projection covering its left-hand portion, with the long east elevation of the east block of the courtyard extending to the right. East gable is of basalt rubble with red brick raking eaves course and corbels to verges, continuous across base of chimney stack; narrow angle-headed brick dressed blind slit opening at apex; one window in gable to right of lean-to: rectangular timber sliding sash, 3 over 3, with horns, with projecting concrete cill and modern flat arch of narrow basalt voussoirs on a steel lintel; cast iron soil pipe to left. Lean-to projection is of basalt rubble with a red brick eaves course; red brick block quoins to first floor; red brick block dressings to openings. One window to first floor, rectangular timber sliding sash, 3 over 3, with horns. Two doorways to ground floor, set in chamfered Gothic archways: one to left is blocked with smooth cement render; one to right contains a Gothic arched ledged timber door. Roof slated as previous; cast iron gutter with cast iron downpipe. East block of courtyard, extending to right from east gable: wall of basalt rubble; roof slated as previous; PVC gutter with PVC downpipe. Openings from left to right are as follows: a new doorway with flat basalt voussoirs on a steel lintel, containing a panelled and glazed door; a rectangular timber 12-pane fixed light with brick dressings and concrete cill; a small rectangular timber single-pane fixed light, with smooth rendered reveals and recessed cill; a rectangular timber small paned fixed light with projecting concrete cill; a gabled red brick dormer with slated roof, with semi-circular arched opening containing timber louvres; a rectangular timber fixed light with top-hung vent set in smooth rendered reveals with recessed cill and flat arch over; a small rectangular single-pane fixed light, as previous; a small concrete brick dressed opening with glass bricks; a rectangular open doorway, cement dressed, with sliding door now missing; and a rectangular metal casement, in smooth cement surround with wall below smooth rendered. COURTYARD The courtyard is entered by an arched entrance in the north block: passageway has a concrete surface; roughly coursed basalt rubble walls to each side, with each apex constructed or reconstructed, in concrete brickwork; one high level opening to each side wall, the one on the west side containing a rectangular timber boarded door in a timber frame, the one on the east side dressed in concrete brickwork and currently boarded up. Block on south side of courtyard, facing arched entrance: of similar character to main front entrance elevation; circular clock in top storey of main tower; central block slated as previous; cast iron gutter and downpipe; walling as previous, with two large gabled dormers containing 2-light Gothic lancets with circular tracery lights, glazed as previous to entrance front; between them is a shallow Gothic arched window, sashed 6 over 6 as previous to entrance front; below that is a large coved arched opening, originally an open arched passage running through the tower, but now containing a timber window with leaded glazing as on entrance front; low stone plinth wall containing a planter box at cill level. To left of large central window is a wooden shallow Gothic arched window sashed as previous to first floor; to left of that is a modern rectangular timber window sashed 6 over 6 with horns, with flat basalt arch on steel lintel; ground floor area to left of large central window shows traces of earlier flat arched coach house openings now blocked up. To right of large central window are two rectangular openings, one to left containing a tripartite sashed window as previous to front; one to right is a rectangular glazed and flush sheeted door set in small paned sidelights and fanlight, enclosed within a lean-to glazed roofed porch constructed of modern red brick. Wings extending to east and west of central block have gabled dormers of basalt rubble with brick dressed sashed windows as on entrance elevation. Block on west side of courtyard: hipped roof of Bangor blue slates in regular courses; basalt rubble walls; rectangular undressed openings to ground floor, containing two ledged timber doors, and one window containing glass bricks; one segmental arched doorway, with rendered reveals, containing a modern aluminium shutter. Timber steps to a first floor dormer; ornamental ironwork balustrading incorporating a lampholder at the bottom and one at the top. Dormer is of red brick, gabled, with slated roof, containing semi-circular brick arched opening with ledged timber door. Cast iron gutter and downpipe. To left-hand side is a modern red brick projection with partly glazed roof, containing a pair of rectangular timber garage doors; concrete lintel; timber eaves board and bargeboard; moulded metal gutter; PVC downpipe. Block on north side of courtyard: slated roof with a central 5-light rooflight at the ridge; cast iron gutter and downpipes; basalt rubble walls with two red brick gabled dormers containing semi-circular arched 6-pane windows as previous to north elevation. Central archway opening with double doors of slatted timber. Below each dormer is a rectangular opening, one to left containing a ledged timber door in a timber frame with flat basalt arch to head; the one to right, originally a similar doorway, but now partly blocked up to form a rectangular window; rectangular metal casement with red brick reveals. Each of these openings is flanked by red brick block-dressed windows, rectangular timber 12-pane fixed lights with 4-pane top-hung vents; smooth rendered cills, spalled to reveal red brick core. Block on east side of courtyard: hipped slated roof as previous, with two modern rooflights; cast iron gutter and downpipes; wall of basalt rubble, containing four rectangular openings: two doorways with flat basalt arches and ledged timber doors; one window, rectangular timber 12-pane fixed light with 4-pane top-hung vent, set in red brick block surrounds; one modern sashed window, 6 over 6 as previous to south block. There is also a large segmental arched red brick dressed opening containing a modern up-and-over panelled PVC garage door set in a timber frame with a 2-light fanlight, and a gabled red brick dormer, as previous, containing a semi-circular arched ledged timber door. SETTING: The building stands in a rural area within the grounds of the Loughanmore estate, approached by three main driveways, two from the main road to the north and one from a side road to the west. The two former driveways are marked by a main gatelodge and gateway (HB20/06/005) leading to the front, and a secondary gatelodge and gateway (HB20/06/006D) leading to the rear. The driveway to the west is marked by a gateway only, leading to the front of the building: comprises a pair of square piers of coursed granite ashlar, with projecting plinth and moulded weathered caps, with flanking screen walls of similar masonry, with moulded granite copings, terminating in similar smaller end piers. Pair of double gates of wrought iron, of plain character, with iron urn finials to each end. Driveways lined by mature trees. The building stands well back from the main public road and faces away from it, overlooking parkland. Immediately in front of the building is an extensive lawn separated from the parkland and grazing area by a ha-ha. Ha-ha formerly stone revetted but later smooth cement rendered. Grazing land beyond is approached by a short flight of steps which have stone sculpted human heads built into the side walls; origin of heads not recorded. To the rear of the building lies a stable yard bordered to north and east by single storey stables and outbuildings of no architectural interest. To the east lies a large enclosed field, formerly a well stocked garden, bounded to the south by iron railings and on the other sides by brick walls; former greenhouse against north wall now demolished. Directly to the east stand two garden features, a garden tower and spire (HB20/06/006B) and an ice house with a columnar tower on top (HB20/06/006C). At the south-east corner of the building is the now cleared site of the former Loughanmore House, its site now grassed over to form part of the front lawn, with none of it retained in position.

Architects


Boyd, John

Historical Information


Built as a stable block, coach houses, and outbuildings in connection with the now-demolished Loughanmore House; precise date of building uncertain as the complex evolved over a period of time. The courtyard layout appeared on the OS map of 1832 and the bulk of the blocks to the rear may be taken to date from then, while the main bulk of the front block and the other High Victorian elements elsewhere, such as brick dormer windows in the rear blocks, may be taken to date from 1866 when Henry Adair succeeded to the estate and is known to have embarked on alterations and improvements. The architect for the remodelling of the stable block appears to have been John Boyd of Belfast who is known to have been involved in re-roofing the stable offices for Henry Adair in 1887; Boyd was the architect employed by Adair in the virtual rebuilding of Donegore Parish Church in 1871, and was in charge of building the demesne wall for him at Loughanmore in 1880. Following Henry Adair's death in 1887 a chapel was created out of a coach house sometime in the mid-to-late 1890s (precise date uncertain) to the right of the clock tower; converted to domestic purposes c 1984 when the stained glass windows were removed to Donegore Parish Church, and the entire front block was renovated to become the main residence on the estate. The chapel had been established in consequence of the unfriendly conduct of the then clergyman of Donegore Parish Church toward the Adair family, and was instituted as a memorial to the Rev James Hunt of Loughanmore, who had married a daughter of Col Benjamin Adair, and who had died in 1894. There is apparently no record of it having been consecrated but it was built with the approval of Bishop Welland and succeeding bishops concurred. The congregation, who comprised the family and their staff, generally about 20 in number, preferred to worship there in severe weather rather than walk up to the parish church. Its furniture consisted of an organ, communion table, reading desk, chairs, and a communion service of silver. When General J.N. Adair sold the estate in 1920 to Charles MacKean he offered to pass the furnishings to the tenant for life of Loughanmore if the chapel's function was intended to be continued. Date when crenellations removed from clock tower of stable block is uncertain but may have been connected to the renovations to Loughanmore House in 1961. The Loughanmore estate was laid out in its present form in the years following 1798 when Loughanmore House was built by Thomas Benjamin Adair; he was High Sheriff of Co Antrim in 1801. He died in 1855 and was succeeded by his son Charles, Captain in the 33rd Regiment. He died in 1866 and was followed by his brother Henry who altered the house, remodelled the stable block and improved the gardens and grounds; it was he who restored Donegore Parish Church in 1871; he was appointed Deputy Lieutenant of County Antrim in 1870 and High Sheriff in 1871. He died in 1888 and was succeeded until 1896 by Miss Amelia Sophia Adair, daughter of Thomas Benjamin Adair; she in turn was succeeded by her youngest sister Eleanor Margaret who had married Rev James Hunt. The Adair family connection ceased when General J.N. Adair sold the estate to Charles MacKean of Larne in 1920. Loughanmore House as built in 1798 by Thomas Benjamin Adair, was remodelled following Henry Adair's succession to the estate in 1866 when it was crenellated, towered, and turreted; a tower was in course of erection in 1870 when flags were hoisted on it to celebrate the visit of Prince Arthur to nearby Castle Upton (as recorded by Peden in 1878). Further alterations were carried out after the property was bought by Charles MacKean, designs being prepared for him by Guy Elwes, architect of London, in 1936, for a new dining room with canted end, new stairs and landings, and the removal of the front tower. In 1961 more renovations were carried out under the direction of Arthur Jury, architect of Belfast, when the top floor was taken down and crenellations were removed. Finally, in 1988, the house was demolished. It was described in the first survey in 1972 as "A two-storey five-bay house with basement, much altered in 19th century, now partly restored to original appearance. Windows are plain sashed. On first floor, central window is surmounted by a triangular pediment, side windows by segmental pediments. Ground floor windows are in eaved architraves. Extensions have splayed ends. Keystones on ground floor of main roughcast block have sculptured masks. There are modern lampholders before this block and a Doric porch front service entrance." Dates relating to associated elements on the estate are as follows: The 1830 OS map shows an entrance to the estate north of the stable block, along with a gate lodge (HB20/06/006D), and an entrance to the estate south-west of the stable block, still marked by a gateway. The 1857 OS map shows a gatelodge at that south-west entrance, on the opposite side of the road from it, as well as a lodge and main entrance to the north-east, since rebuilt in 1929 (HB20/06/005), and another gate lodge further to the north-east (demolished to make way for the M2 motorway c 1967). In 1880 the demesne wall was built; architect John Boyd. Other structures on the estate include an ice house surmounted by a columnar tower (HB20/06/006C) and a garden tower with spire (HB20/06/006B) both of uncertain date. References – Primary Sources 1. OS Map 1832, Co Antrim 50. 2. OS Map 1857, Co Antrim 50. 3. Belfast News-Letter, 8 September 1880. 4. Belfast News-Letter, 30 April 1887. 5. Irish Builder, 7 January 1961, p 13. 6. Old photographs, correspondence, and drawings in possession of the owner in 1999. Secondary Sources 1. A. Peden, Historical Essay of the Parish and Congregation of Templepatrick compiled in the year 1824 by S.M. Stevenson MD, Belfast, with an appendix by Andrew Peden (Belfast, 1878), p 77. 2. R.M. Young, Belfast and the Province of Ulster (Brighton, 1909), p 259. 3. UAHS, West Antrim (Belfast, 1970), p 14. 4. M. Bell, A History of St John's Church, Donegore (Antrim, 1988). 5. Heritage Gardens Inventory (Belfast, 1992): An/501.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H+. Alterations enhancing the building H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest



Evaluation


This is a former coach house and stable block, arranged around a courtyard, which incorporates portions dating from at least the early 19th century, with parts of it remodelled in the mid-Victorian era in Gothic Revival style, and more recently remodelled to become a domestic residence. While the main front block has lost some important features due to alterations, the successive remodellings give the buildings added interest and illustrate an historic development.

General Comments




Date of Survey


18 December 1999